Friday, May 27, 2011

At the Ho and Tell

My family and I have had to leave our home while repairs are being made. We had black mold.  We are a family of six but had our older children stay with their mother while my husband and I lived in hotels with our 3 year old and 4 year old. We stayed at a hotel in Silver Spring, Maryland in April and May.  On May 7, 2011, we found two “Hide a Key” holders full of crack cocaine in our room. I do not have the background experience necessary to know what I’d found but got nervous when I saw the world’s smallest Ziploc bag with small white rocks and powder in them.  In a panic, my husband began flushing the drugs down the toilet in fear that our youngest, who still eats off the floor despite our best efforts, would get into the drugs.  Then as my husband was flushing, I realized that guests who have this amount of drugs probably wouldn’t leave them behind when they couldn’t be sure they could get the same room again.  We began to worry that the drugs were stashed by a Hotel staff member. So we took them to the manager and talked with him confidentially.  He gave us two free nights and upon my husband’s insistence, changed our room.  I couldn’t sleep at for the remainder of our stay.  I worried that the owner of the drugs would return and hurt my family. My fear was fueled by the fact that the manager sent a hotel staff member to check our new room “for drugs”.   The confidentiality was lost at that point.
 We spent the remainder of our time at the hotel in fear that someone would come back and hurt us for the drugs.  My three year old stood up from her chair and screamed "I don't like this Ho and Tell, I want to go home".  My husband and I agreed and moved to a different hotel.

A word from the wise:  Check the bedframes of the hotels you stay in if you have young children.  Had our 3 or 4 year old children found the drugs first they might not be here today. If you find something call the police not hotel staff.  This lesson we learned the hard way. Keeping your children safe should not be this hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment